Wednesday, January 21, 2009

hah.

One of the conservation guys in my lab this afternoon had a funny shirt.

It had a picture of a buck deer, and the words: "Deer: the other red meat." On the buck were little arrows pointing to the various cuts, naming them, and telling what they were good for.

I'm not a hunter, but as a plant ecologist I've come to consider deer (at least in the population sizes present in much of the US today) a pest species of sorts. So I have absolutely no problem if someone wants to convert a few deer into backstrap or pot roast.

A lot of the conservation students have funny t-shirts they wear. One of my favorites was the big guy (and he was a BIG guy) who had a camouflage shirt that said on the front, in small white letters, "you can't see me."

Some of our conservation students can be kind of problem people - but then again any group can. But I appreciate the sense of humor that most of them seem to have.

2 comments:

The Fifth String said...

Mmmmm... backstrap...

I have a T-shirt I've had for many years now. I always (and ONLY) wear it on the first day of deer season. It's the old "Far Side" cartoon with two bucks, one with a large target on his chest and the other one saying "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal."

Oh, and "You can't see me" on the camo shirt? Priceless.

WV: molisgut - where the backstrap will be after Moli fries it up.

Caltechgirl said...

that Hal comic was the inspiration for Beth and John Donovan's (of Castle Argghhh!) cat's name (Hal, naturally)

I have 2 favorite t shirts. One says "Our lab has more brains than your lab" (duh, we do neuroscience), the other is from my undergrad days and reads "I love this F-ing school" on the front and "And this school loves F-ing ME" on the back, complete with a modified version of the CIT logo changing the torchbearing hand into an hand brandishing an extended middle finger.

WV: drobl. A big dribble.