Saturday, May 09, 2009

Awesome!

Dolly Parton got an honorary doctorate from University of Tennessee at Knoxville.

I love Dolly Parton. I am not really a country music fan, but I think she's got a great voice, and I particularly love a lot of the "roots" stuff she does, like her bluegrass albums.

It makes me so happy to hear of her getting this honor.

I know, some people aren't big fans of honorary doctorates - I've actually heard people claim they "take away" from people who have earned doctorates. As someone who HAS an earned doctorate, that strikes me as kind of an odd stance to take. It's an honor. I doubt many people who receive honorary doctorates NEED them to promote themselves in their careers or get a job the way people with earned doctorates use them.

I'm not so much a fan of the "politicized" ones - where they take someone that may in some way be majorly offensive to a large chunk of the student body (like someone who agitated for Hamas or some such at a school with a large Jewish population) but I can totally get behind the idea of honoring someone who has done the stuff Dolly has done.

She's such a great American character. And yes, I do think she's pretty uniquely American, I'm not sure you could get someone just like her in another country.

She just strikes me as someone who is a good, decent person, who has done well with her talent and with hard work, and who gives back.

She's also quoted on one of the UT pages:

"Learning is all about taking chances, and rolling up your sleeves and working hard," Parton said. "To learn more means to work more. Nobody ever makes it without hard work."


You go, Dr. Dolly!

1 comment:

The Fifth String said...

Very nice. She's not my particular cuppa when it comes to country music but she does strike me as a very good person.