Thursday, June 07, 2007

All better!

Called this morning, got the owner of the shop - he promised me he'd be out by 2 pm (I told him I could be home by 11.) At 12:30 or so, he and a co-worker showed up. They found the problem, fixed it, told me they'd send me a bill, and wished me well.

I've said before that money isn't that important to me- at least in the keeping-up-with -the-Joneses sense. I'd never be interested in buying a Hummer or fancy expensive clothes just to show off - my tastes don't run to Hummers or expensive clothes, so I drive an older model minivan and wear stuff from Kohl's.

But I do appreciate my salary (and my ability to save some of it back for emergencies) when stuff like this happens - to be able to call a repair guy without worrying about whether I can afford it, without having to go "Okay, that means I eat rice and beans for the rest of the month."

Oh, I know a lot of people aren't as lucky (or blessed if you prefer) as I am, and I'm not trying to rub anyone's nose in it. I'm just grateful for what I have.

Airconditioning is one of the few "luxuries" I really feel like I "need."

And now I have it back.

(And today is my Friday. I love the summer teaching schedule - I'm going to stay home tomorrow in my NICE COOL HOUSE and work on a manuscript.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad they were able to fix the AC for you. You're right, it is a luxury for the most part, but when you have terrible allergies to the point you're almost blinded by them, then it's more of a necessity. I also have a 9-year-old cat and it's worrisome to leave another living creature in a hot apartment while I'm at work.

I had an AC "miracle" of sorts myself--the new AC I put in my bedroom window earlier in the week (while it was in the 70s) turned on fine at the start, then later in the week when I was going to need it? Nothing! Yesterday it was 95 in Philly and I was resigning myself to camping out in the living room, but for some reason when I got home something told me to plug in the unit. It turned on! Here's hoping it behaves the rest of the summer.