Thursday, June 28, 2007

Whoo-hoo #3 (big one)

This is the best news I've heard all week.

Remember a couple weeks ago, my mom had an incident where she had some memory blackouts for a short period of time? They ruled out all the really scary neurological stuff at the ER, but they wanted to still do some heart-function tests and an MRI.

(One of her friends told her that if she had had a TIA, it would show up on the MRI.)

One thing they did was a carotid artery ultrasound to check for blockage. My mom had been a bit concerned over the results of this test because for years her cholesterol's bounced around - gone borderline high (never high enough for the doctors to push statins on her though), gone down, gone back up, etc. So she was concerned about there being blockage. (Also - a friend of our family had carotid artery surgery and nearly died of complications afterward. So she was apprehensive about the potential of surgery).

Well - the carotids are perfectly clear. No problems there.
The MRI showed no tumors or plaques or anything much.

Except - apparently she has mastoditis (sp?). I guess this is inflammation around one of the bones near the jaw. The doctor thought it was probably a lowgrade infection (My mom had been complaining of a "blocked" ear but she thought it was allergies). My mom asked her if that could have caused the memory episode and the doctor said she couldn't say 100% for sure, but it was likely.

So now my mom's got horse-pill antibiotics (she's allergic to a lot of them, so she usually winds up with sulfa drugs) and a decongestant.

So, to Kate and anyone else who was praying - thank you. It's a weight off my heart to know that she's basically okay and that probably the thing that caused the memory issue was an infection that can be cleared up.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The mastoid is the bone right behind the ear (that little lump). It has air cavities in it, I suspect that's what may have gotten infected.

And no, I didn't remember that (except which bone it was). Anatomy was >30 years ago.

nightfly said...

Grateful for the good news, ricki! All the best to your mom.

Shannon C. said...

I am relieved for you, Ricki! I hope she is feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo is right! Great news, Ricki!

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!! :)

(BTW my verification word is "suktxpd"--I think blogger is making a slur on typepad)

Anonymous said...

My mom had serious dementia the last five years of her life. We could, and often did, have the same conversation every ten minutes. Eventually it got to the point where she would remember the name she gave me when I was born, but couldn't recall what our relationship was. Often she thought I was her brother.

It's not something you want to go through. I'm so glad it appears now that you won't have to, Ricki.

red fish said...

That is great news! I hope she lives many, many more healthy years.