Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Whoo-hoo #2!

I FOUND THE MISSING FILES.

The ones that, had I not found them, would have probably meant this paper died an agonizing death. This was the stuff I was "cuss word"-ing about yesterday.

I kept thinking: That HAS to be somewhere. Even I am not a great enough git to totally get rid of all the bits and pieces of that.

Then I remembered a couple of CD-ROMs that my co-author had handed me after some long hours of working on analyses. I was so brain-fried at the time that I guess his, "I copied the output of the analysis on this CD so you'd have it" didn't register. Or it did, and I put the CD aside and forgot it.

But I was looking for a CD of a program I had that I wanted to re-install. And there was the other CD, the one he had made, with his characteristically-cryptic label on it.

Don't get your hopes up too much, I told myself. It's probably just reprints of some of his recent papers. (He used to do what I called "the Reprint Fairy" - every time he had a paper come out, he'd get reprints and then go through the lab and leave a copy on everyone's desk before they came in for the morning. I can't quite decide if that was endearing or annoying.)

But I put the disk in and looked at it.

a text file, with a title that sounded right. So I opened it.

And it was there. Huzzah. (And contrary to what Lileks said, Huzzah is not ONLY used by people at Renaissance Faires or people making fun of them.)

That means the several hours of horrible agonizing effort I would have had to put in today have been done away with. It also means that I have something productive to work on this weekend.

Thank God. (What's the saying? God looks out for drunks and fools? Something like that? Well, I'm not the first, but I'll admit to sometimes being the second.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

O.K., I admit it, after I read your post about the missing files I prayed you'd find them even though you didn't sound that hopeful.

Coincidentally, my parents also found a missing piece of sheet music that our choir desperately needed for our annual Feast next month. It was an organ accompaniment that otherwise my Dad would've had to make up so we are relieved. I don't think my mom minds that my dad has so much music at the house; she just wishes everything had some sense of order to it so they won't have to tear the house apart looking for something obscure.

Anonymous said...

Duh, I forgot to say, "Hooray!!!! You found it!!!" :)

nightfly said...

Yu can haz filz!

So hapy 4 yu 2 find filz!
We prty now 4 yu find filz?

We prty fun!