Friday, June 22, 2007

bring on the truffles, the yarn, or the books....

On Joel's blog the other day I commented that I was getting so tired of stories about a certain individual whose great-grandfather founded a famous hotel chain.

(Maybe I'll Homerize her name and call her Paramais Hilamaton. Kind of like Pig Latin.)

I said that I thought I should modify the old "drinking game" (where, if something happened in a movie, people had to take a drink). I'm not a drinking woman (and even if I were, I think, knocking back a shot at 8:30 am would still disgust me). So I said I'd either buy another book, buy a skein of yarn, or eat a square of Lindt chocolate every time she was mentioned in a news story I happened to hear.

(Several commenters suggested the Lindt truffles instead. I've had them, and I guess this is one of those, "There's no disputing taste" matters, but I find them a bit unctuous for me. I'd rather have a square off of one of their good dark chocolate bars.)

Anyway. Took my car in for its regular filter/oil change this morning (and asked the mechanic to check the brakes - they had been grinding and squealing and I had fearful visions of Impending Brake System Failure. He came back in and said the brakes looked perfectly fine; the grinding was probably because it's been so wet these past few weeks. Thank goodness for that - that's $100 or more I don't have to spend.)

Anyway, while I was waiting, the tv box in the customer lounge. (And I also have to add - this is a dealership and one of the salespeople went through and foisted her card on everyone, telling us if we were in the market for a new car, to look her up. One of the other guys sitting in there waiting, after she left, said sotto voce, "It's probably not the best place to sell Fords when people are sitting around waiting for their broken Fords to be fixed." Hah.)

Anyway, the tv box people (I think it was Fox news but I was grading and only listening with half an ear) were discussing the woman who shall not be named here and her "pending release" from jail.

"Pending release?" Whaaa? WTF? Didn't she just go in, like, on Monday?

They also said she's doing a print interview and making $300K for it.

Now, I try not to begrudge actors and actresses and sports stars their high salaries, but this still seems wrong to me. I realize I don't have the interest of ever having been in jail, nor the titillation factor of ever having disembarked a car while wearing a short skirt and going commando, but if someone asked to interview me - and then offered to pay - I'd turn it down. Isn't the point of an interview that you're getting publicity?

I don't know. But I do think I will now entitle myself to the purchase of a book or yarn of my choice, having been subjected to hearing that. (And if you're playing along at home, I guess your having read my blog post now entitles YOU to your indulgence-of-choice. This could get very recursive...)

No comments: