Wednesday, November 05, 2008

a question (teaching related)

Is it horrible of me to bail on "extra office hours" I added on (after cancelling a field lab because of bad weather) because someone has brought their LOUD SCREAMING TODDLER to a colleague's office and seems to want to persist in staying and chatting with the person as their child screams bloody murder?

My head hurts. I'm premenstrual. The air pressure is changing rapidly thanks to a cold front and I hurt all over. And the child is screaming and shrieking. I don't want to hear it. I already have my door all but closed and I can still hear it and it's majorly upsetting my equilibrium.

Yes, I understand the whole "I need adult conversation" bit with new moms, but honestly, I'm trying to write an exam review and prep for tomorrow. And it's making me hurt.

I know I'm a grinch for this, but I really hate it when a parent shows up all apologetic with a baby or toddler in tow and goes, "Sorry, the babysitter cancelled, is it OK for me to bring him to class?" No, it really ISN'T OK but I know I'll be branded a bitter, childless she-ogre if I say no.

I once had a student bring a child under the claim of "cancelled babysitter" and I later found out it was because the daycare wouldn't take him because he had pinkeye. Thank goodness I didn't catch it or else I would have been sorely tempted to fail her ass.

2 comments:

The Fifth String said...

"I know I'm a grinch for this, but I really hate it when a parent shows up all apologetic with a baby or toddler in tow"

No, sweetness, you're not a grinch. I've been there, done the parent thing. One of the rulez is, you don't inflict your brat on others.

Seriously, I've been on both ends: parent and not parent, male and female. You live with your choice and don't force others to live with it. I could go into detail, but I won't here.

Cullen said...

I think it depends on the circumstances and the child. I could take my oldest with my anywhere since she was 5 or 6. All I have had to do was give her a book and she'd be fine for hours.

As for Daughter Number 2 and Bo, I would only take them into places where I was in and out. I would never, as Ken says, inflict my brat on others with either of them.

So, I might have considered taking my oldest to class if I'd been left with no other recourse. But, most likely, I would have just skipped class. If one of my kids was being very disruptive in an office environment like you describe, I would leave. And they would be sorry.

Word verification: uvitylat - a primary ingredient in snake oil potions.