Thursday, November 06, 2008

TMI

I apologize in advance to the chaps for this.



I hate perimenopause.

At least, that's what I assume this is....my mom experienced the same thing at about this age (she was maybe a little bit later than I was, but then I've had some hormonal issues that could suggest I'm going to Change earlier than she did).

I feel like I'm going to puke. At first I thought that was because I ate bacon Tuesday night, and one of the ugly tricks my body has begun playing on me is an intolerance to fatty foods - or even just to foods I haven't eaten in a while (it had been about 6 months since I last had bacon).

But I think this is more than that, or at least deduced the same from a quick check of the calendar.

The one thing I remember about my mom going through this? We went to Disneyworld one Spring Break...and she couldn't ride any of the rides. She was sick to her stomach much of the time. At the time, I was worried - I thought she was really sick, like with something really bad - but she reassured me that it wasn't something for me to worry about (without giving me details).

And I'm not in the most stellar of moods. I can tell that because of yesterday afternoon, with the screaming child...I wanted to pull out my hair by the roots and stuff it in my ears, and I don't normally react that way. And when I drove by the little local quilt shop (because I needed a particular thing for my next project) and saw that the "Closed" sign was up even though it was technically their business hours, I immediately panicked and thought:

1. This stupid town. People can't even support a nice local business. They've closed up shop because people are so damn cheap about that kind of thing. And yet, people will spend hundreds of dollars a month on stupid text messaging and their stupid fancy coffees. I never get to have the nice things *I* like, yet there's a cell-phone store on every corner and there are four or five frou-frou coffee shops. In a town of 12,000.

and/or

2. Oh crap. Businesspeople are already doing a "John Galt." In a few months I'll have Wal-Mart to shop at and that will be it.

Normally I am not so paranoid. (After I got home - just a few blocks from the shop - a call to them ascertained that they were, in fact, open, the sign had probably just swung the wrong way in the wind.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in the boat with you, except I'd be no help paddling because I'm in such a fog we'd probably be doing in circles.

I am hot and cold AT THE SAME TIME. My skin is constantly tingling. I wake up around 2:00 a.m. every morning soaked in sweat (and yet COLD, too) and then unable to go back to sleep. I cry at the drop of a hat, a quality I've always had, but 100 times worse. I have mood swings that make me feel like the Incredible Hulk one minute and then a consumptive ingenue the next.

This morning I called my doctor for an appointment and I'm going to ask her to put me on SOMETHING, maybe a low-dose birth control pill, because I can't take much more of this. I'm 43!