Saturday, November 08, 2008

Two things

1. If a person cannot parallel park right, I wish they would not.

There is an auction down the street from me today. I had to go to the post office. I wound up having to "thread the needle" between cars sticking out far more into the lane of traffic than SHOULD.

Also, cars should not park on both sides of a narrow residential street - auction or no auction.

I try to be forgiving about things but having to negotiate around cars sticking 18" to 24" out into traffic MORE THAN THEY SHOULD ticks me off. (Especially as I have to deal with it every morning driving in to work; I go past an apartment complex where the parking lots are apparently not close enough to some people's units for them. So people park every darn way and I have to be careful every morning not to mess up my paint job by scraping someone's car that's sticking out farther than it should.

And I say this as someone who SUCKS at parallel parking. It is one skill I KNOW I do not have. I will walk many blocks farther if it means I can get an angle-place, or a place in a lot.

2. I think I offered up one of the weirder prayers I've ever said at the post office this morning.

It was, as it always is when I need to go, packed. I wound up in a LONG line (and they opened a second window JUST as I got up to the window). I was behind a person with the worst B.O. that I've noticed in a long time.

And of course, because my stomach is not happy right now, it immediately started to threaten me.

And so I said, in my mind: "Lord, if I'm going to hurl, please at least help me hold off until I get this business done and get home."

Of course, as soon as B.O. Plenty moved up to the window I got a little relief. (And just my luck - I have NO IDEA what transaction the person was doing but it seemed to involve the post office employee having to check and "frank" (run through a machine) about 18 separate pieces of paper. I have no idea if the person was trying to get a money order using lots of different checks or what, or if they were the treasurer for a group that was buying lots of stamps or what, but it took literally 10 minutes to conduct the whole transaction.

At least I didn't hurl, and now that I'm back in my neutral-smelling house, I don't feel like I have to any more.

1 comment:

Kate P said...

Oh, man--I am so with you on the smells making you hurl thing. Glad you made it out O.K.

And "B.O. Plenty" made me laugh pretty hard, too. :)