Thursday, February 05, 2009

bizarre

I know that reporting one's dreams is the stereotypical bore-blogging. But something really odd happened last night.

I dreamed that I had volunteered to drive a group of older ladies who didn't drive to their church so they could pray. And arriving there, I decided, "well, it's not my denomination but God isn't gonna care; I can still go in and pray, too"

And I did. And the weird part? In my dream I was praying for the people currently on my church's prayer concerns list. In particular, one man and his wife - their situation is pretty critical right now, he just lost a brother he was very close to, he is now in the hospital with pneumonia himself, and his wife had a stroke or something a couple years ago that limits her mobility and ability to do things like drive, so it's hard for her to take care of herself with him in the hospital.

When I woke up at the end of the dream, I mentally ran down the list - yeah, I prayed in my dream for the people on the list. I suppose it's because it's so deep in my mind, and because I was concerned in particular about that couple (he just went into the hospital yesterday so I don't know anything new).

But it raises the theological question - if you dream about praying for someone, does it "count"?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Part of my theology:

Since all gifts come from God, those gifts would include the motivation to pray, as well as a dream about praying since we are not in control of our own dreams. (Think of how many dreams seem wacky after you wake up but made sense while you were having them.)

So it counts! Brownie points for Ricki! Except Brownie points don't count because you're Protestant and Grace Alone is the determining factor.

The Fifth String said...

if you dream about praying for someone, does it "count"?

Well, I'm a hopeless non-believer so my opinions about theological stuff are probably worthless, but sure, why not?

I suspect that if there is a God (or FSM, as the case may be), he/she/it/they probably are more concerned about good works and a life well-lived than with sectarian particulars.

So yeah, Brownie Points for Ricki! You're a good soul and your dreams prove it.

Kate P said...

I love that it was inter-denominational praying. That probably counts twice.

Cullen said...

I'm pretty non-partisan when it comes to religion, but I have my opinions. I tend to think that prayer counts when you mean it. Since dreams can be manifestations of subconscious desire, I would say dreaming about praying counts.

It's pretty cool that you would dream about helping out people through prayer.

w/v: goarl - what a Chinese hockey color commentator says (yeah, I, on the other hand, am going to hell).