Wednesday, February 04, 2009

helplessness

Why do people do this? I have one student in one of my classes who just acts helpless all the time. It drives me up the wall. This is an intelligent person. But she keeps coming to me with these $%(*&$# questions and this Barbie-girl "Math is SOOOOOO hard" attitude.

And I'm like all, look, I'm a GIRL myself. In case you didn't notice - long hair, makeup, no beard, breasts, wears skirts. G-I-R-L. So coming to me and fluttering your lashes and simpering about how math is so "hard" will only piss me off.

I'm a girl and I have a Ph.D. That means I did math to get it. Lots and lots of math. Math is not that hard, it just requires (a) shutting up for long enough to hear the teacher's explanation and (b) telling yourself you WILL understand it, even if you have two apparently-stupid-making X chromosomes.

The helpless act may work with some of your male professors, but it actually will do the reverse of helping with me.

I hate it when chicks do that. Suck it up, be a big tough cowgirl. If you don't understand, come to me and say, "I am confused, please explain this again" but don't give me the big show. Thanks.

2 comments:

Laura(southernxyl) said...

I can't stand it when people in the lab tell me they can't do or don't get math. Frankly, it scares me. I feel that I must go over all of their calculations and I don't really have time. I try to show them things and they're rolling their eyes and telling me how smart I am - no, I'm adequate to the task, and I suspect that you are not.

Really, I dislike that "you're so smart" stuff. Man up.

Mr. Bingley said...

long hair, makeup, no beard, breasts, wears skirts. G-I-R-L.

well, or Ken in college.