Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Yay

Analyzing data today.

Actually seeing patterns - real, actual results of the experiment I babysat and worried over and took care of for two weeks. And they are patterns that make sense, that I can get up in front of a bunch of my fellow scientists in my little dressy suit and show powerpoint slides about and talk about and have them all nod knowingly, yes, yes, that makes sense based on results of other studies.

There are also some results I DIDN'T expect but that are interesting in light of what I am doing. So it's really pretty cool and wonderful.

I don't often get a lot of satisfaction from research because so many of my projects misfire, or so many require years and years of data collection before any pattern emerges, that this makes me very happy.

(I might just make Full Professor one of these days after all)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, indeed. I love it when experiments go well.

Question as an aside: I realize it's not usually associated with biology, at least as far as I know, but do you know if your school teaches Design of Experiment at all?

Caltechgirl said...

yippee!!!