Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I so want a rubber stamp of this...

...so I can use it when I grade papers:

Bob the Angry Flower explains "its" vs. "it's.".

And, of course, Bob's more-famous Guide to the Proper Use of Apostrophes.

Fortunately, that one my students don't screw up so much. However, I do tend to see it an awful lot at the grocery, as in "Canteloupe's: $3.59" or some such.

I'd also like to have a rubber stamp explaining the "your"/"you're" dichotomy, and the "they're"/"there"/"their" triplet.

And one that says, "This is not a sentence."

****

And a bonus...while looking for the Bob strips, I ran across a link (on the comic-book artist's page; he had drawn a similar drawing to the one in question and his fans were wondering if the drawing had been cribbed from his earlier work). It's here. Ah, Ann Arbor. How I miss it. Not.

The story: apparently some burger joint calling itself Quickie Burgers puts up a logo of a cowgirl in a tight shirt riding a bucking burger. The local LGBT group objects and wants the burger joint to take down the logo. They protest and deliver a petition.

(Seriously: it's a cowgirl riding a hamburger. It's dumb and silly. I am a woman and I laughed at it. I do not feel one bit objectified. If there were a franchise of that chain in my town, and if it was known to have good food, I'd eat there.

Besides, she looks like she's enjoyin' the ride. So who am I to judge?)

And yeah, yeah, I know: yay freedom of speech. But I also think the burger-joint owner has some freedom of speech here too.

No comments: