Thursday, June 05, 2008

"I Love the 80s"? I LIVED the 80s, my friend...



Oh, that takes me back. Takes me back to the days, after tennis, sitting in the dormitory common room at my prep school, waiting for my mom to pick me up. Several of my friends were Thundercats fans, and we used to sit and watch it.

And debate whether Lion-O or Panthro kicked more ass.
And make rude comments about Cheetara's costume.

And diss the "kiddie" cats and that inane worrying creature (the Snarf, I think it was?) that were put in for comic relief.

Good times, good times.

You know, given the recent spate of superhero/fantasy movies, I wonder if they'll develop a Thundercats movie. (I'd hope it would be some kind of live-action with awesome special effects, rather than an animated movie - either a CGI* or what now passes for "traditional" animation).


(*I have to admit, I do not like CGI when it is used on humanoids. Fish, yes, fine. Bugs, great. Small furry mammals, OK. But trying to make semi-realistic humans, it seems to fall flat - they look plasticky and "fake" to me. And I can't suspend disbelief any more. I'm sure they'll perfect it in a few years and we will wind up with "new" Bogart movies using a CGI Bogie and a voice-impersonator, or "new" Marilyn Monroe flicks using the same, but for now, I don't like the attempts to make "real" humans.

Oh, and - I think making "new" movies featuring super-realistic versions of dead stars is as much of a travesty as you do.)

4 comments:

WordGirl said...

I think a Thundercats movie is actually in the works, believe it or not... HOOOOOH!

nightfly said...

They'll have to get Christopher Lee to play Mumm-Ra.

In re: CGI humans. There's a term for it called "the uncanny valley." Basically, as a human representation such as CGI or actual robots gets closer to realism, we marvel at it - up to a point. If it's too close a simulacrum we are repelled. (Video games are beginning to reach that point now, especially with almost-but-not-quite motion capture.)

Nobody knows for sure if the uncanny valley can be crossed - for example, if a Data would be actually acceptable, or merely insanely creepy. I think that seeing an android played by a human doesn't really answer the question, because we know that Brent Spiner just washes the stuff off at the end of the day and goes home for a sandwich.

Kate P said...

Ah, the good old days when you could yell, "Ho!" and not get in trouble, LOL. I'll never forget the time my friend from college told me that her younger brother came down the steps one morning at home, discovered the empty coffee pot, and declared dramatically, "Lion-O, there's NO COFFEE!" (I know, I wish I'd been young enough to marry him. . . he's married to my sister's boss, actually.)

Oh, Brent Spiner, jeez. . . anytime Data came on the TV my mom would tell us kids the poor guy needed a tan.

WordGirl said...

To NightFly's point: "The polar Express" [shudder]

And if I heard anyone say, "Lion-O, there's no COFFEE!" I would kiss him.