Wednesday, June 11, 2008

the jokes just write themselves, sometimes

Heard on the radio (while running out to my field site quickly this afternoon) that a group of Clinton supporters - who are apparently disaffected with Obama - have formed a group called PUMA.

PUMA stands for "Party Unity, My A**"

(In other words: they just don't want to give up on Clinton being nominated. They're making insinuations about sexism and such. To which I say: yawn.)

At any rate - they're calling themselves Pumas. Apparently, they're mostly female. Well, there's another group of females that go by the nickname Cougar.

(I don't think they CHOSE that name for themselves, but it has now become a part of slang).

I suspect that some PUMAS are also Cougars. But I also suspect that you don't want to confuse the groups and refer to ALL PUMAS as Cougars.

Oh, it makes me want to make up some kind of funky Venn diagram....

(I also have to admit - and this is kind of how big of a geek I am - last summer I happened to flip past E! while visiting my folks, and the "program identifier" said something like "50 Greatest Cougar Attacks!" and my first thought was "Why is an entertainment network showing a program about mountain lions?" and my next thought was "It's really tasteless for them to promote voyeurism about animal attacks in that way! A lot of the people killed by mountain lions, their deaths are pretty horrible and not for public viewing." I finally figured out what a "cougar" was in that context and felt kind of like Emily Litella....)

5 comments:

Caltechgirl said...

if all pumas are cougars and all cougars chase younger men....

Sorry, I had a bad logic test moment. Had to share.

Anonymous said...

"There was three pumas in the cravasse..."

Joel said...

Ken, that same line occurred to me the minute I saw that. Immediately followed by the thought that I come from a family full of cougars. And that my wife is a little older than me. Uh-oh.

Maggie May said...

I always knew PUMA as "panties up my a**." You know...a wedgie!

So if a cougar has a puma, is that cougar a puma?

Hmmmmm.

nightfly said...

Hm. In Hillary's case, she could possibly make both kinds of Cougar Attack lists.