Sunday, June 15, 2008

Not so "smart," now, are you?

Some dude swapped out that standard "Smart Car" (those tiny two-seaters promoted as a solution to urban congestion and pollution) for a 13,000 RPM motor (I'm not enough of a gearhead to know what that motor is FROM).



(You might want to turn the sound down unless you're a fan of thrash metal. The soundtrack gives me a wee bit of a headache).

Now, if it weren't for the deafening nature of the motor (I hope that a pair of noisecancelling headphones come with it), I'd think that was pretty damn cool.

I've always wanted a car that I could put into the "James Bond Escape Manoeuvre" and pull straight from that into a parallel park. And being able to do a 360 and make donuts around trees are just another part of the fun.

But yeah, the motor noise would drive me up a wall. And I'm sure none of my colleagues would ever want to bum rides off me again, especially after I pulled that maneuver I described above, turned to them, grinned broadly, and said, "Now...THAT'S how *I* parallel park!"

(I just hope the thing comes with a really good roll cage. And maybe some five-point belts, while we're at it. And maybe some high-grade reinforcement of the metal, especially since those little cars kind of look like the "crumple zone" is also known as "the driver's knees.")

No comments: