Saturday, October 04, 2008

'Nother game

Not a game of my youth, but a fun one nevertheless.

A couple of Christmases ago, my brother and sister-in-law brought their copy of Apples to Apples to my parents' house.

It's a fairly simple game, but very clever: every person is dealt a hand of "word" cards. One person (a different one each round) is the "judge," they pull a different sort of "word" card (in the game, there are green apple cards and red apple cards).

Then, each player looks through his or her cards and selects the one that they think goes best with the card the judge has picked. They anonymously submit their cards, the judge reads each one, and picks the one that they think goes best.

The game can be absolutely freaking hilarious. With the right group of people, there are all kinds of crazy combinations, there are people playing to the judge (for example, you would use the "George W. Bush" card very differently if the judge were a known Republican, a known Democrat, or a known BDS sufferer).

It is one of the few board games where I can say I have laughed so hard playing it that tears were running down my face. Now granted, that was partly the company - my family all get along VERY well, and both my brother and sister in law have wonderful, crazy, senses of humor. But it's a really fun game, easy to play, and one I highly recommend.

No comments: