Thursday, October 09, 2008

Ways in which "Mythbusters" is applicable to everyday life, #465:

The news is telling me that the economy is dying. The news is telling me that Americans are facing bad unemployment. The news tells me people are losing their homes at record rates. The news tells me no one can spend money on anything and everyone is terrified they won't be able to afford both food and heat come December.

I have a good job that almost certainly is not going away. I'm losing money in the stock market, but it's not a "real" loss because I'm not selling stocks. I have a good sound roof over my head, one that is paid for. I'm doing OK financially, and I'm really not worried about eating and heating this winter.

So, to quote Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

No comments: