Monday, October 20, 2008

Oh, dear.

I know I said I would not wax politic on this blog, because of my pure and unadulterated disgust with what has happened to political "discourse" in this country.

But I have to report something rather sad today.

Mr. McCain is dangerously close to losing me.

(No, I don't think I'd vote for Mr. "Wealth is like Nutella; best when it's spread around." I'd just stay home. Or I'd ask for a write in ballot and put down Wilma Flintstone or something).

Why? Why am I considering sinking my vote?

Because Mr. McCain lists "Sweet Caroline" as one of his top ten favorite songs, that's why.

I find the fondness for ABBA frankly amusing; Neil Diamond I can sort of forgive, but seriously? "Sweet Caroline"?

Ugh.

I'm really not sure this is the man I want leading my country.








(I'm joking. And it makes me sad that I even have to SAY that, but considering that some people get all het up over stories published in the ONION - a known humor mag - I feel I must).

In all seriousness, I wonder whether we'll ever see a candidate again who admits to liking, say, Bach, or if that's considered to square and elitist.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The year for "Sweet Caroline" was 1969, when McCain was in the Hanoi Hilton and would remain there for, I think, four years afterwards. So it can't be a case of a golden oldie reviving a cherished personal memory associated with the song--nor thinking "good times never seemed so good."

Anonymous said...

dave,

maybe he's a closet red sox fan. isn't sweet caroline their song? :-P

(and i hope you don't catch flak for this ricki, people are taking this so seriously. can we just vote already.... feels like this election has been going on for a million years.)