Thursday, October 23, 2008

Seems to be working

I am happy to report that my verbal announcement that my office is a "politics free zone" and that I don't even want to DISCUSS politics this fall seems to be working.

My most politically-motivated colleague, who has been sending all kinds of campaign crap to other folks in the department, hasn't sent me any. I've had no one coming in and electioneering (Well, I suspect since I'm very NON vocal about my politics, they assume they know who I am voting for and it is the same person they are voting for. They would be wrong, but they don't need to know that).

So I can work in peace. I can write my exam reviews without someone popping in to share the latest Palin joke. I can grade papers without having to be the audience for someone's froth about how "stupid" Republicans are. (Interesting...if that person made that claim about ANY OTHER GROUP he'd see how offensive and prejudicial it is).

I don't feel like fighting any battles over politics. One reason is that, quite frankly, I have a promotion to think about in another year or so and I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize it. (Oh, I know: people probably wouldn't vote based on purely political reasons. But they might find excuses to judge me more harshly). The other thing is, I can tie myself into knots over politics and it won't change what happens. I can vote but I have one vote - ONE - and that's all the power I have.

While I may not go all Serenity Prayer and "accept" the things I can't change, I do realize that I can keep from letting the things I can't change destroy my equilibrium. I'm a lot happier right now than I was a few weeks ago when the whole meltdown/bailout/mortgage mess was first happening. Because, largely, I realized that THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT. I can be a bit more careful with my money, I can decide not to have anything extra invested right now (though then again, this might be a time to buy if you plan on holding). But realistically, the Dow closing down a few hundred points doesn't mean there's no supper on my table at night, or that I have to shiver in a cold dark house.

I'm doing OK.

And I will probably continue to do OK regardless of what happens in what, 12 days? I mean, barring some kind of really awful conspiracy-theorist Oliver-Stone-movie-grade event, which I totally don't expect to happen, things will be OK.

So I'm trying to avoid not just the frothers on the Left, but the frothers on the Right - the ones who are saying that an Obama presidency will mean bye-bye Bill of Rights. (Seriously. They can't do that.) Or it will mean that my bank account will be confiscated in the name of 'spreading the wealth.' Sure, my taxes might go up, but heck...I've been there before. I can manage. I may have to cut back on my charitable giving or not buy so many books, but I'll manage.

As I said yesterday - I have a job to do. My immediate work is more important and more, well, immediate than anything going on in Washington.

So I'm avoiding letting myself get dragged into a vortex of gloom or worry or anger or snideness by those who are already there.

1 comment:

The Fifth String said...

I'm doing OK.

Glad to hear, Ricki. Keep a stiff upper lip no matter what happens.