Thursday, April 26, 2007

your body-image comment of the day

One of my friends was telling me about a woman she knew, someone who had had an ex who played all kinds of horrible mind-games with her. The woman was about 6' tall and had always been on the slender/athletic side, but he convinced her she was too fat, so she dieted and exercised down to 120 pounds.

Which, I don't care how you slice it, is not enough body mass on a 6' tall woman. Especially one who used to be athletic (muscle weighs more than fat).

She got rid of the ex and gained back some of the weight but was bemoaning to my friend (who has a body kind of like mine - fattish, but in decent physical shape - she's active and strong) that she had gotten "so fat" and that she wished she was 120 pounds again.

She told my friend, "I can't see my hipbones. I feel too big when I can't see my hipbones."

I kind of shook my head, and observed, "If I want to see my hipbones, I'll go and have an x-ray taken."

I mean, seriously - a few women may be genetically predisposed to be thin enough that you can see a bit of their hipbone, but in most women that's a pathology.

I dunno. As much as I sometimes bemoan being single, there's a lot to be said to not be dealing with all kinds of stupid-ex garbage. Like thinking that having a body with enough mass on it so that you are not in amenorrhea is "too fat."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any guy who thinks his woman ought to be THAT thin wants some kind of weird trophy instead of a wife. For a six-footer, I'd say 160 lbs., minimum.

nightfly said...

What an idiot.

Uh - YOU HAVE AN ATHLETIC 6-FOOT GIRLFRIEND. She's trim, fit, and likes you for who you are. This isn't a common event, stupid! Shmaybe you could return the favor and thank your lucky stars into the bargain?

But now she's the one who's convinced that she's not good enough. Turd-brained loser ex fell out of the Dumb-Ass Tree and landed on his head. Gaaaah.

Anonymous said...

Good grief. I hope that creep reaps what he sows, ten times over. I hope that woman can recover from such brainwashing.

Anonymous said...

Yeah....I'm just puzzled by the whole thing. Most of the NORMAL men I've spoken to about these matters are of the opinion that a woman with a bit of flesh on her is a desirable thing...one guy made some comment about "I don't want to feel like I'm making love to a plank"

I am guessing with this turkey it was more a sick control issue than any kind of "this is what I prefer in a woman" issue

(And Dave: thank you. It's so hard to get a handle on what a "normal" weight is supposed to be for a woman; I think most women - I know I am guilty of it - lowball their weight when asked, so we have this bizarre concept of what's ok and what's not.)

Joel said...

I've always said a woman should be well-upholstered. Who wants to cuddle up to a sack full of coathangers?

However, there are plenty of guys out there who never grow past the adolescent whoa-check-out-this-centerfold stage, who really think the only women worth having are naturally airbrushed. Of course, it doesn't occur to the peabrains that their being pimply, beer-gutted and clad in sweats that smell of the laundry pile might limit their shallow choices.

Fortunately, the prevalence of such jackasses makes things infinitely easier for adult men who appreciate women with bodies that require no surgical alterations to maintain.

It's really sad that this sicko is still having a body-image effect on her even after she's ditched his sorry hiney. She needs to wash that man right out of her hair, preferably with rat poison.