Friday, February 15, 2008

at the restaurant

I went out to lunch today. I had some errands to run, so since I was in the next town over (bigger than where I live), I decided to go to one of the tex-mex places there.

This is a chain - I hadn't heard of it before I moved here - it kind of bills itself as a "family cantina." The food at this particular franchise is fairly good, and it's a friendly enough restaurant for the solo diner. (There is a restaurant or two I won't eat at here, after having bad experiences - like sitting for 10-15 minutes before a server came over at a time when the restaurant was NOT at all busy, and having her say, "Oh...I thought you were waiting for someone" after I had specifically told the person seating me I was alone. And there is another one where I get this subtle feeling of the stink-eye, so I just avoid them. Anyway.).

I was sitting in a booth, across from me was a table with a mom, her 3 to 4 year old daughter, the mom's mom, and another woman who was either an aunt of the girl or a friend of the mom.

The mom had given her daughter her cell phone (turned off) to occupy her while they were waiting for their food. The little girl said, "OK, I'm gonna call my boyfriend." She then proceeded to make a "call" and started talking in this crazy loud complainy voice. Just like some teenaged and 20 something girls DO to their boyfriends.

Her mom was going, "Jessica! Inside voice! Inside voice! Don't make me take you out to the car!" I happened to look over as Jessica started doing it (she was kind of loud) and happened to catch her grandma's eye.

And we both just busted out laughing.

Because, in a way, it was kind of terrible - she's SO YOUNG to have picked up that attitude. But on the other hand, it was hilariously funny - this tiny little kid perfectly aping a spoiled 19-year-old girl.

It almost reminded me a bit of those "Pearl" videos that Will Ferrell did. (Except without the swears).

Little kids are really funny sometimes.

No comments: