Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Smiling

I saw this this morning (linked on another craft-blog I read) and it made me smile.

It's a woman who has done embroidery "portraits" of people she thought of as "heroes" when she was a child: Jacques Cousteau, Crystal Gayle (The hair! I love how she did the long hair!), Shel Silverstein, and Bob Ross.

That kind of thing just makes me laugh with delight - don't misunderstand, I'm not laughing AT the person for doing it. Not at all. I'm laughing because it's so wonderful, it makes me so HAPPY.

And it makes me think: who were my childhood heroes, that I would try to capture in embroidery? Mr. Rogers would have to be one; I'm inclined to think that Margery Sharp (although I've never even seen a picture of her) would be another. And Jim Henson. And maybe Marie Osmond (don't laugh, lots of kids looked up to her I bet)

(Margery Sharp is the person who wrote the "Rescuers" series of books, upon which Disney loosely based the 70s cartoon movie. The books are a lot better, though - they're almost little comedies-of-manners in some places and are very intelligently written.)

1 comment:

Kate P said...

Oh, my gosh, happy little trees!

I remember being excited when Donny & Marie came on TV. I think I wanted Marie to be my big sister.