Tuesday, February 05, 2008

You would think...

The time the polls open on "Super Tuesday" in one's state would be a news story, no?

I cannot find it ANYWHERE. It was not in the 6-page-long local rag of a newspaper (2 pages devoted to local school sports, two pages devoted to classified ads). They have not mentioned it on Stupid Local Morning News. I tried going online and searching "poll opening times [MyState] [MyCounty]" Nothing. (I presume the county leadership, as is typical, think the Internet is Evil because it's New, and so, won't use it. But still I hoped).

And YES, I am 100% sure my state goes to the polls today. We are on the list.

I'm gonna ASSUME it's 7 am (it always has been before) and go down there then, but it irks me that this information seems to be hidden from us.

And a question: does ANYONE enjoy getting those taped phone calls from a candidate (or candidate's "good friend" or spouse) asking you to vote for them? I am SO Freaking Glad that is done with (for a while at least).

It offends me that I jump up from what I am doing in the evening (working, reading, trying to relax) to answer the phone (I have relatives who are unwell, I have a friend who doesn't drive and whom I have told can use me as an emergency driver if she needs me, so not answering the phone is not an option) to have it be "Hi! It's Mike Huckabee! Would you please vote for me tomorrow?" Not a chance in Hell, Mike-o.

(My vote, in part, is influenced by the fact that there is one candidate in particular - I'm registered R - that DIDN'T plague me with phone calls. I don't think he's the one who's going to win, and it's a holding-my-nose-and-voting thing anyway, and I don't think it's going to matter, but whatever.)

No comments: