Saturday, February 02, 2008

*cackling*

Opened up my webmail box this morning. Full of spam.

But there was one message that turned out to be from a business I had bought from before, a quilt-fabric shop. But its subject line looked funny in the context of all the other spam:

"Hot batiks cure the winter blues!"

Now, of course, they mean "hot" as in "brightly colored" or "new and popular" and not in the sense of, well, "Hawwwwt," but a person gets so inured to the spam promising to "promote your love private to a big general" (and yes, I got that one once. Yuck.) and offering "hot bored housewives" (it seems to me 90% of spam must be directed at heterosexual males).

So I almost unintentionally deleted it as spam. (Well, it kind of IS spam, except that once in a while I've been notified of good sales on something I want by those quilt shop e-mails).


Incidentally, for those not into quilting, a "batik" is a fabric that's either been made using the batik process (where you have a light colored dye that is protected by a wax resist, and then is overdyed with a darker color so that you get a pretty two-toned print) or a fabric that is printed to LOOK like a batik (but doesn't use the process. They're very popular in quilting right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"promote your love private to a big general"

Ya gotta admit, that's one's actually kind of clever.