Wednesday, February 13, 2008

funny ad

OK, OK, I've talked before about how much I hate most of the "buy buy buy spend yourself into debt or else they won't LOVE you!!!!" ads, or the "if you wanna get a little somethin' somethin' from your honey, you better buy her stuff, preferably stuff that will remind her of sex" Valentine's Day ads.

But I saw one last night that made me laugh because it was just silly and wonderful.

It was for Hallmark - apparently they have cards now that will play at least a snippet of a song (and not the little doodle-doo MIDI versions that they had a few years ago; it's the actual recording by the actual artist)

Anyway. A middle-aged man and woman, conservatively dressed, are sitting together in a car. The woman turns to the man and says, "It's Valentine's day again. I got you something." and hands him a card. He opens it, and it begins to play (IIRC), "Can't Fight this Feeling Anymore"

Flashback time! (except without the Wayne's World wavy lines)

It's the 80s. Guy is in a metal band - the big hair, the Spandex, everything. They're playing a gig. He looks out over the audience. There's this girl. Big 80s hair. Studded dog-collar. Those little lace fingerless gloves that I secretly still think are kind of cool. Instant love (or maybe she's his girlfriend already, not entirely clear). He beckons to her, reaches out his hand to help her up on stage.

Back to 2008!

Man and woman are back in the car, back in their conservative suits.

Guy looks at woman, they remember their past, and then they're necking.

I don't know, I thought it was kind of funny because it was (a) unexpected and (b) it didn't seem to show the implied greed that a lot of ads have - she got him a card that reminded him of "back in the day" and that's all it takes to make them realize why they fell in love in the first place.

2 comments:

Maggie May said...

I've seen that one! And it worked I guess, because I bought one of those cards for my CO. It plays "I've Got You Babe," because that is just a funny song my family karaokes to (in the privacy of our own home...NOT in public), and we laugh about on car trips, etc.

I think those are the best Valentines...the little ones that are sweet and funny and remind you of the small day to day things that make your relationship last.

WordGirl said...

I laughed for a solid minute at that one as well! AWESOME!

And lemme' tell ya' -- after you're married [shrug] Valentine's Day is no big deal. If you're low-maintenance and you have a good marriage, that is. We don't do much. I don't buy Hubster anything because he says it's a "chick holiday". And I'm pretty happy with a hug and a "Happy Valentine's Day". I could give a bleep about the rest of that crap. 'Cause what am I gonna' do with a ten-foot-tall teddy bear? He can give me some dough to pick out my own flowers at the grocery store and I'll be STOKED.

I think it's because we love each other 365 days a year -- not just one. Valentine's Day is all hype. Just like the car commercials that come out at Christmas. I mean, who's gonna' by their spouse a Lexus? Get real.

But I still hated it like poison when I was single...