Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Ah, Wednesday

Ah, Wednesday. Also known as "The day I wish my job description was 'Independently Wealthy Layabout' and not Associate Professor/Committee Chair/Student Group Advisor/Youth Group Leader." (And only one of those titles do I see a paycheck, or even thanks, for.)

Trump is apparently starting a new magazine aimed at the uber-rich. It's going to be about "high end goods and celebrities." I'm sorry, but - yawn. If I were uber-rich, I'd want to spend my time, money, and attention on other things - like maybe philanthropy, or learning all the stuff I want to learn but don't have time to. (Okay, I will say - they also said it would include travel, which would be interesting if one were rich enough not to have to put up with the security checks at airports or if one could imperiously stalk out of a hotel and request other accommodations if one discovered, for example, the wrong brand of t.p. in the hotel bathroom. But when you're middle-class these days, travel - at least in the sense of getting where you are going, and even sometimes the place you stay - can be kind of a chamber of horrors.)

I don't know. I know I'd probably be bored eventually with the "Independently Wealthy Layabout" thing, but when you're staring down the barrel of a 15 hour day, it sounds pretty attractive...the whole "sleep 'til nine, have the personal trainer in, then spend an hour in the bath, then eat something, then spend the afternoon doing whatever you want..." thing.

No comments: