Thursday, September 13, 2007

swag

I admit ahead of time, this is going to be gripe-y and kind of jealousy-motivated and all that. But whatever.

While taking a break between two bouts of grading this morning, I visited one of the yarn-purveyors I've ordered from in the past. And I noted on their "splash page" that they said they'd basically be out-of-office this week - because they're involved with some awards show or other, putting together and giving out "swag bags" of their yarn.

The whole concept of "swag bags" irritates me. Celebrities - people who have people fawning at their feet - get all kinds of free stuff, given them in the vague hope, I suppose that they'll mention the company that gave it in some interview (or maybe, so the company that gave it can claim "as used by Celebrity X!").

And yeah, I know some celebrities give away at least some of the stuff. But I wonder if maybe for a lot of them, there's really not that much joy in accepting a swag bag - "Oh, another bunch of crap that someone's trying to push" or something like that. I mean, when you have more money than God - do free sample sizes of new moisturizers and fluffy slippers really mean that much?

I know an awful lot of people who'd probably appreciate the swag bags more.

Let's see: the ladies who work in nursing homes, helping take care of people who are no longer capable of controlling their bodily functions. Soldiers on the front line (and I know - there's an immense grassroots effort to supply them with good stuff, and I applaud that). 911 dispatchers who work the overnight shift. Special-ed schoolteachers (many of whom buy supplies out of their own pockets). Church secretaries. Bus drivers.

Basically, all of the working stiffs who go do their job every day, who don't often hear a "thank you" or a "you're doing a good job."

And I know - doing the job well should be its own reward. But it's nice to hear a little thanks now and then. I've occasionally done small gift baskets (of nice soap, or fancy cookies and teas, things like that) for people who were particularly helpful to me, or people that I think work really hard and aren't appreciated...and well, the response tells me that it's worth doing.

I do hope the swag-bag-givers get a similar response from celebrities. But I don't know...some of the current crop aren't always known for showing gratitude or for appreciating others.

I just hope that yarn shop is only giving out its swag bags to celebs who actually knit or crochet...I'd hate to think of bags full of that lovely stuff being tossed in the trash by some starlet who rolls her eyes and thinks, "Who do they think I am, a grandma?" as she heads out for her next round of partying.

3 comments:

Maggie May said...

That is one of my pet peeves as well, Ricki.

Lets give the rich people, the people who can afford to buy anything they want, free stuff, so that we can say "Oh, look...the rich people have our stuff!" so that it becomes all kinds of "cool" and we can now raise the prices for the poor, poor people who can't afford things. Yeah, that makes sense.

Grrrr! I HATE that!

nightfly said...

It reminds me of the Sopranos episode where Chris goes out to Hollywood to pitch "Cleaver" and tries vainly to enlist Sir Ben Kingsley as hte antagonist. The scene of Chris' eyes goggling at the swag bags at the party he crashes (with a disdainful Kingsley trying to slip away) are priceless.

Kingsley pretty much makes the same point you do here - it's not like he can't afford the stuff himself.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, though, there are a number of actresses who say in interviews that they took up knitting for something to do while filming movies. I can't remember if Julia Roberts once spoke fondly of a cast member who taught her to knit, or if it was the other way around. Beats drugs and casual flings. So I'm kind of o.k. with yarn swag. But the entertainment "news" outlets describing the contents of swag bags at every single event? Enough already; that's disgusting.

I cracked up when I saw your title, Ricki. My sister visited our brother's new house last weekend and told me how our niece (just turned 3) was excitedly telling her about the "swag." The what? Oh, the FLAG. Apparently there's one of those small flagpoles attached to the house!