Friday, October 05, 2007

Because I've imposed on Ken, Emily, and Dave's hospitality too much already...

Here's another little Friday venting:

If you are going to SKIP CLASS on a Friday, and you have VITAL DATA THAT ALL THE MEMBERS OF YOUR GROUP NEED TO COMPLETE THE LAB, be a pal and GIVE SOMEONE IN THE GROUP THE DATA.

Not only did the young lady's absence today screw up her entire group, in this case, it's screwing up the ENTIRE lab for the ENTIRE class because I was going to photocopy each group's data and distribute it so that everyone could compare all groups' results.

And now, everyone is going to have to wait until Wednesday to get the data - because of one person's not showing up. They'll all have to write two lab write-ups in a single week. And you know what? I don't sodding care. If they whine about it, I will simply observe that it was the action of one member of one group that prevented them from having the data in a more timely fashion.

The other group members were all scrambling around - trying to see if anyone had the missing student's phone number, trying to put together what they had. I asked what they were missing - thinking, perhaps, I could just have the class treat that set as incomplete data - but the data were TOO incomplete.

What frosts me is I know I'm going to hear bitching about "We have TWOOOOOO lab reports to write this week?" Sorry. Not my fault. If you had handed in the data AFTER LAB earlier this week (like I asked), we wouldn't be facing this problem.

I predict that 30 years from now, no college will ever have Friday classes, because of the rates of absenteeism. But then, of course, Thursday will become the "new Friday." It pisses me off.

(Yes, I realize she COULD have been sick, but a couple of the students who knew her pretty well said she didn't seem sick at all last night. And even then - could she not have called someone and read off the missing data to them over the phone? When I was a student, I would have crawled over broken glass to see to it that my lab partners (and instructor) had the data necessary.)

No comments: