Tuesday, October 02, 2007

a couple comment-responses and a speculation

First off:

Joel, I've always been pretty tightly-wound as far as responsibility was concerned. There were probably a few times when I didn't begin a school project early enough or something in grade school - and my parent's didn't step in to save my tail, they let me have to stay up late working on it, or take the poorer grade, or something.

As a college freshman, one of the first things I did was get a big calendar (heck, I did this in prep school too, I think) and mark on it all the days I had exams or class projects due. (I also marked on it the vacation days, of course). That way, I always had right in front of me (it hung over my desk) a guideline of what I needed to be thinking about working on.

Kate - probably he was burned out. I'm generally more flexible if it's a "family" type thing. Especially if it's coming from someone who hasn't abused my "hospitality" in the past (I'm willing to do make up quizzes and such - but not for someone who needs to make them up Every. Stinking. Time. or who can't give me a reasonable reason for why they're absent. Or for people who set a time to take the make up and then never show - I've had that happen, too).

And on the raw milk thing - I do have to say that several (many) people jumped on the bulletin-board post and pointed out the risks of raw milk, and made my very observation (that people wouldn't be so fast to discount medical/sanitation advances that are now commonplace if they knew the history of them). Still, there were a few people who seemed to be doing the "La, la, la, I can't hear you" thing, or accusing the voices of reason as being Tools of Industry or somesuch. Whatever. I personally wouldn't drink raw milk unless I knew the farmer very well and had SEEN the cow it came out of (and could adequately assess her health). And I'd hate to think of lawsuits coming into the courts because someone merrily drank raw milk (or worse, gave it to their kid) and then came down with campylobacter or some other bad disease...I suppose dairymen make people sign some kind of liability release if they sell raw milk.

I'm gathering my thoughts for the post on my concern about trying to scale God and Jesus and the heroes of the Bible down to fit the lives of modern people...but I need to do more thinking on it. There's something I can't quite pin down about how and why it bothers me.

****

Finally, the speculation:

I've been getting large quantities of spam offering me something titled "MegaDik."

Considering the slang usage (at least among my circle of friends) of describing a chap as a "dick" when he behaves in a contemptible and arrogant manner, could "MegaDik" be something like the (in)famous A-hole option that a number of FFOT contributors have speculated is available for certain models of cars?

"He's not just a Dik, he's a MegaDik."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, the calendar! I just did that when classes started this week! (Of course I just got an e-mail from one of my instructors clarifying his assignments' due dates and they are SO not the way he had them on the syllabus. Grumble, grumble.)

That professor didn't know me at all so I'm thinking you're right--he was burned out from all the other students who DID try to take advantage of him. Plus I looked about 17 (I was almost 20) so maybe I was being given some "tough love."

I'm glad some other sensible people arrived on the scene about the raw milk. I mean, my family is open to alternative therapies, natural foods, and the like, but not beyond common sense. I'd be more likely to eat an egg straight from the henhouse than drink milk straight from the cow (if I drank milk).

Megadik option? Hahaha! Almost sounds like a prehistoric animal.