Monday, October 22, 2007

death of childhood, death of adulthood?

This is something I've been wondering about.

For years, I've been hearing people (especially mothers of young girls, it seems) talking about the "death of childhood" - where kids are pushed to be "sophisticated" or "grown up" (really - acting old beyond their years). The sort of trampy clothes sold for pre-teens, the fact that lots of girls seem to give up playing with dolls and such at increasingly early ages, the pressure to start dating so young. (I know of ten year olds who "date." While I realize that's not like, say, 18 year olds "dating," still, it sets up certain expectations that are probably kind of heavy for such a young kid.)

Of course this has come to a head with the talk about birth control pills being offered to girls potentially as young as 11. (Which just blows my mind...digression time...

When I was 11, I was still sewing doll clothes and still playing with my Kermit the Frog doll. I knew the facts of life but was in NO rush to put them to the test. In fact, if you'd asked me at 11 about having sex, I probably would have grudgingly said, "Well, when I'm like 28 and married and if I want to have a baby, I suppose I will HAVE to." I still thought the whole idea was incredibly gross.

Now, granted - for me puberty didn't kick in until 13 or 14, but even then, even at 15 and 16 and 17, I still figured I was not ready. Especially not ready if it meant I might have a kid as a result.

But anyway. I realize it was 25 years ago now, but still...even then...I think I was in a lot of ways a sheltered and kind of backwards kid. I was still interested in teddy bears and dolls when my friends were experimenting with makeup and hairstyles. I refer to having had my first "boyfriend" at 10, but really - he was the first boy I didn't think was icky and that I wanted to talk to. It was incredibly innocent - we sat across from each other in homeroom and we used to talk and laugh. We never even held hands or anything like that.

And you know? Thank God I had those experiences. Thank God I had those innocent times to sort of try things out on, instead of being plunged hardcore into the world of "real" boyfriends and dating and worrying about my appearance and stuff.

And I'm glad I played with toys for as long as I did. I have good memories to look back on - years spent sprawled on the floor building stuff out of Lego bricks. [and, okay, maybe when I was perhaps a bit past the age when it was considered acceptable, I still did play with them - but I had the argument that "but I'm just spending time with my little brother." I was, but I was also playing with the bricks...]. Years spent building forts out of blankets and dining room chairs. Years making my own paper dolls. (I made a lot of paper dolls. When I got older, I'd check books on historical or ethnic costume out of the library and do it under the guise of research or "preparing for a possible career as a fashion designer" but the truth was, I just liked drawing paper dolls and making clothes for them).

At any rate - I had a fairly protracted and carefree childhood. And now I'm an adult, and although I don't always LOVE shouldering all the responsibilities and requirements of being an adult, I do - because I'm an adult and I feel it is expected of me.

And I wonder sometimes if the strength of my childhood has something to do with that - that I was a child for long enough that I was able to build up into being an adult.

(Follow me here).

Another thing that I hear people bemoaning these days is how so many young adults seem to be stuck in a protracted adolescence - they can't buckle down and WORK, they think the world owes them a living, they don't commit to things, they don't take on the 'trappings' of adulthood. (Though that last one, I don't know about - I wear a watch with Eeyore on it and I'm still a responsible adult. And I have Snoopy pillowcases on my bed pillows at this very moment. And there's nothing wrong with that. But....when you have a job interview, you know? You wear "business casual" or better. I've seen people go into interviews in wife-beater shirts and old torn jeans and wonder why they didn't get the job. Perhaps it's not so much always having the 'trappings' of adulthood as much as it is knowing what is appropriate, when.)

And I wonder if the two things - the death of childhood, and the failure of many 20- (and even in some cases, 30-) somethings to fully graduate to responsible adulthood are linked.

One of the things I guess I absorbed during my protracted childhood were ideas of appropriateness. How to behave. How not to behave. What was important, and what was silly. (Didn't C.S. Lewis, in one of his Narnia books, talk about how Susan had fallen away from the belief in Narnia, and instead taken on a "silly" belief in things like lipsticks and skirts? Or something to that effect?).

In drawing my paper dolls, and looking at the books of dresses for inspiration, I think I learned a little bit about why short skirts were sometimes not OK. And why sometimes it was better to be more covered than less. I think I also kind of absorbed the difference between how children and adults dressed.

I think also the hundreds of little comedies-of-manners I put my stuffed toy animals (or the little plastic zoo animals - I had dozens of those and they were almost like a miniature acting troop, the way I played with them) were my mimicking what I saw the grown-ups doing and saying, my trying to make sense out of things. Trying to learn why some behavior was accepted and other behavior was seen as foolish. (And I was lucky in that I had good models - "acceptable" behavior was not the kind of narrow-minded, "but they're not OUR kind of people" attitude some of my friends' parents had; and foolish behavior was, well, behavior that could bring pain or shame to you.)

I do think childhood is important - as a learning process, as a process of watching the adults and trying to learn how to be one. (And I suppose, sadly, some kids don't have much to work with in the way of models, and that may be part of the problem.)

But I wonder - if kids don't have that kind of "lag time" - where they can sit and think about what they hear the grown ups say, and how they watch the grown-ups act, and try to synthesize it into some kind of reasonable whole, if maybe they have problems being grown up themselves.

What I'm trying to say is, a kid who takes on some of the behaviors of adulthood too early may fail to develop other (possibly more important) behaviors.

Or maybe more baldly: if a kid gets cheated out of childhood, maybe they have a harder time successfully growing up into an adult? The little girls running around in tight sparkly t-shirts with double-entendre messages on them, or (God forbid) sweatpants with "Juicy" on the backside, who ape the suggestive moves of dancers on MTV - they maybe have less of a chance of understanding fully what it means to be female, and maybe become stuck in a caricature? Or the boys who base their behavior on the coarse, rude, but somehow "cool" guy on television - they don't learn what it really is to be a man?

I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud here. But sometimes I wonder if there's a link between kids growing up too fast, and their not growing up completely. And I worry about the future of a nation of 45-year-old adolescents.

6 comments:

Caltechgirl said...

Interesting thoughts. There's actually a whole body of work on the "juvenilization" of adults, mostly focused on "Gen X" and how much they love toys and how many of them live with their parents..... But I think you're on to something. Play models the adult world and prepares kids for adult interactions. Something about needing the practice, I guess.

Maggie May said...

It is a strange thing isn't it? Kids growing up too fast, but never growing up quite enough in the end. I agree with caltechgirl...you might be on to something.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't completely sheltered but I feel grateful that for the most part, I got the right information at the right times. I think some people see giving information to children in a black and white way, like, "either we fully disclose or else we're lying." That's not exactly right. Kids' minds are not little versions of adults' minds. Heck, in general, kids are not little version of adults, but a lot of people seem to think that way.

I can't tell you how angry I am that a child I know was exposed to way too much information about his parents' divorce and subsequent relationships' up ands downs, and honestly I think it's part of the reason he's somewhat a mess at age 10 (although he seems better able to interact with other kids now instead of always gravitating to adults in some sort of reactive attachment disorder). And yet his parents think HE is the problem and must be medicated. Sigh.

Ricki, you might be interested in the Harris twins who blog at "The Rebelution"--they've written pieces about "adultescence" that is along the lines of what caltechgirl is talking about. They're in their late teens I think but they are encouraging their peers to grow up and start taking responsibility for themselves--I love that one of their mottoes is "Do Hard Things."

I'm still scratching my head at people my age (late 20s/early 30s) who still behave as if they're in college, and as a result treat people very badly and screw up their own lives. I had to part ways with a number of friends b/c they kept acting like that and I got tired of it. I think it also contributed to why I'm not married yet, either.

Anonymous said...

(I came here from Joane Jacobs's blog where I had the gut feeling to click on your name and I am very glad I did.)
I just read an article before your blog that relates to this same issue. It is an opinion piece written by David Brooks for The New York Times titled the Odyssy years. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9800E1DD1E3CF93AA35753C1A9619C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

I agree and yet don't quite agree with what you stated, but I have been wondering about this exact same issue too. I am 37 year old spinster who was raised probably similiar to you, yet I still feel like I am pretending to be an adult at times. I am a toy collector, especially dolls, and I appreciate toys more now than I did as kid. I have some toy and/or craft invention ideas that I have come up with specifically created for what I call the tween/in-between market because I think it is a "new" market. In real life I work for government which changes with politics.

nightfly said...

"A little nonsense now and then,
Is relished by the wisest men."

I've learned that adulthood is not just about never acting childish or never having one's fun, but in knowing when the situation calls for it and then having the will to look foolish in some eyes. And in the long run, as has been said very eloquently already - childhood is practice in learning how to recognize those times. Kids can act very silly, but sometimes they can act very grown-up and surprise us by it.

The thing is, when kids "grow up too fast" they aren't learning about the adult world, they are merely mimicking. It's like saying that a parrot knows English. In the long run, the mimic feels like an adult - they drink, they cuss, they dress provocatively, they hump each other (sorry to be crude, but it really is the apt phrase here)... but they have no sense of how to handle those things. They never learned how to handle a fistfight in the schoolyard, or coming to terms with their own limitations (usually through humiliation on the playground), they never learned how to win or lose with grace... learned precious little about sound judgment and other people's feelings, being to engrossed in satisfying their own whims to the exclusion of all else.

(Sometimes I think that mental obesity is just as much an effect of all the video games as physical obesity - one merely hits the reset button, or hurls a controller, instead of dealing honestly with setbacks. There is often only one other person to interact with, or none at all.)

Anonymous said...

This blog also reminded me of another blog that I had read recently, in a blog called In the Agora that I discovered recently because one of the writers is someone I have met in real life. Re-reading, it is only barely related to the topic, but since I went to the effort of finding it again, I am going to post a link to it (hope you don't mind)http://www.intheagora.com/archives/2007/10/a_more_perfect.html