Sunday, October 07, 2007

I love TCM

Back in the summer, I upgraded to digital cable. Even though I don't have a lot of television-time, I think it was worth it, because I watch a lot of Discovery Health (And probably know all the "freak" diseases out there that are uncommon, now, thanks to my fondness for "Mystery Diagnosis"). But I also love the movie channels I get.

I get Fox movies, which usually is 80s stuff but once in a while breaks out with a good old movie, or with something like a Mel Brooks film fest

I get IFC, which can be sort of overly fond of its "highbrow" status but does show some good stuff.

And I get TCM, which is mainly why I got the digital cable. (Say what you will about Ted Turner and his spouse [are they still married?], but TCM is a good channel).

Last night they were showing "The Producers" - the original, 60s version, with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. I had never seen it, except for a few clips (mostly the pivotal song of the "musical" they produce). I hadn't seen the newer version either.

It was brilliant. And hilarious. I love Gene Wilder anyway, particularly when he's doing the more outrageous sort of comedy. And I pretty much love Mel Brooks - some of his jokes, at least in his later movies, maybe go a wee bit FAR for me (but then again, they're not as off-putting as a lot of the Farrelly brothers movies; it's because I think in some cases Brooks was first [the infamous bean scene in Blazing Saddles probably ushered in much of today's flatulence humor that is EVERYWHERE and is mostly unfunny], but there's also a sort of sense of glee about "look what we're doing, we're so bawdy! Look what we can get away with!" in Brooks' work that some others don't seem to have. It's like Brooks enjoys himself more, or something).

The Producers isn't quite as full of throw-away lines like, say History of the World Part I or Spaceballs is, but it's still brilliant and wonderful. (And I think it's more character-driven than some of Brooks' other movies).

It's a rare movie that can make me laugh out loud sitting alone in my living room, but this one did.

And a question - did Wilder and Brooks do any other movies together, besides this, Young Frankenstein, and Blazing Saddles? I thought and couldn't come up with any, but if there were, I might want to rent them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope - that's it for their collaboration!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha--I was watching it last night, too! I always get a kick out of Lorenzo and his "hey, baby" stuff. It kind of made studying bearable.

I'd have to get digital to watch IFC (sigh).

Anonymous said...

The "Springtime for Hitler" song, with its cuts from the stage to the appalled faces of the audience members, never fails to get loud laughter out of me.