Friday, October 05, 2007

A little weekend "win"

This made me chuckle:



****

nightfly, Dave, Kate - thanks for the comments. Yes, the whole "dumbing down" of faith - of trying to drag God down to where we are, rather than us trying to reach up to God is something that bothers me a lot. (Bothers me so much that I guess I didn't come right out and talk about it).

But that is a societal thing that's happening generally, I think - that there's no more aspiration (or at least "aspiration" for things other than "bling" and fancy cars and new video games). Look at the way people will rush to tear down any "hero" who gets set up. Look at how a lot of celebrities seem to be wallowing in their own screw-ups. Look at how that's shouted from the rooftops - Britney loses her kids! Amy Winehouse in rehab! (oh irony of ironies). Lindsay Lohan in trouble with the law!

And there are very few counter examples, at least in the mainstream media - the people who are good parents, or are faithful to their spouse, or who work hard at their job, or are honest, or any of that stuff - they're very rarely mentioned.

I'd rather strive for something I might never be able to achieve - something I know is good and true and right and a fitting goal - than to sort of roll over in the mud, and say, "but it's nice and comfy here, and there are lots of other people with me."

And I'm afraid that far too many people are kind of giving up and rolling over in the mud these days.

No comments: