Friday, August 31, 2007

Mr. Yuck

Nightfly - the guy on the badge is the infamous "Mr. Yuck," which was proposed (in the 80s, I think) as a replacement for the old skull-and-crossbones on poisonous substances. The argument was that children didn't understand the skull and crossbones as being a symbol for "this could kill you," so they wanted to replace it with something kids were more likely to respond to.

I think it was mainly an effort east of the Mississippi - or maybe just in the Great Lakes states - I seem to remember it as originating in Pittsburgh?

It never really caught on.

However, now considering that the skull-and-crossbones is a fashion statement (without, apparently, any of the memento mori semiotics), perhaps we need to revive ol' Yuck. I'd hate to think of a child contemplating that drain cleaner was making a fashion statement.

2 comments:

Joel said...

I didn't realize Mr. Yuck had ever gone away. I think we still have some of those stickers. Not that it ever slows down Hypertot, who would just regard it as an invitaton not to get caught.

Caltechgirl said...

I love Mr. Yuck. I'd forgotten about him.