Sunday, August 26, 2007

to clarify

Since Jill asked:

What I really want to do is continue with the youth group. Yes, some of the kids have problems. But there are also times when I see insight, and caring, and "good stuff" in general. I think some of the kids see the Wednesday night meetings as a "safe place" - somewhere where they can come and talk and where people will listen to them.

I think it is the right thing to continue the program. I have seen improvement in the behavior of some of the kids, I've seen them learn. I don't think it's right to say, "oh, let's just write THESE kids off and see if we can try again with some "better" kids from wealthier, more-likely-to-be-intact families." (Which is what "better" implies in this case.)

I would like a little more assistance; some weeks (most weeks) it is me and my co-leader. I would also like for the folks who are complaining to...I don't know, I'd like them, I guess, to be able to see the kids as I see them, maybe they wouldn't complain so much then.

I really don't want to end the program. But if more than half of the other adults are in favor of ending it, I will - I can't work while feeling people are against what I'm doing. I can't work surrounded by people who feel that what I'm doing is either a lost cause or is somehow harmful to the church.

If that happens? I'll be sad and hurt and it will probably be a while before I willingly volunteer for something again. But I'll abide by it.

No comments: